Gutters, including galvanised steel and aluminium gutters, typically need to be replaced about every 20 years, but with quality and consistent maintenance they can often can last longer. However, with normal wear and tear, or as a result of severe weather, they may need to be repaired or replaced at earlier intervals. Gutters in a poor state can cause costly water damage to your roof and a home’s interior.
Rust is a common problem, especially on the underside of galvanised steel guttering systems. Other potential issues that may be evident are holes, sagging or splitting of the gutter, or loose fasteners. Peeling paint and water damage to internal walls of the property are other giveaway signs that your gutters may need to be replaced.
We often recommend that homeowners check their gutters while it’s raining, as leaks and other issues will be easier to spot. Doing so will make it much easier to see visually if water is flowing smoothly out of the downpipes, or if the gutters are overflowing or just not channelling water correctly at all.
If you’re concerned that your gutters need to be repaired or replaced, contact us at Gutterline. We can assess your gutters and discuss a range of options with you. If we determine that the repairs required are extensive, we’ll provide you with an obligation-free quote to replace your gutter system.
When to replace gutters
The objective of an inspection is to determine whether or not a repair is possible. Small problems like loose gutters or missing downpipes are simple to repair. However, the following are a number of signs that you may need to replace your guttering system completely:
- There are a large number of small repairs required. When your gutters get to a stage where they are riddled with cracks, holes, or rust spots throughout, then it’s much more cost effective to simply replace the system.
- The hangers won’t stay screwed in. If gutter hangers are being tightened, yet keep slipping, there may be an issue with the fascia boards. Gutterline’s services include replacing deteriorating fascia boards.
- Sections will not stay together. When gutter sections have been repaired yet continue to separate, consider replacing your gutters with seamless gutters to prevent this occurring again.
- There is sagging or incorrect pitch. It’s important to have a system that is correctly pitched, so water flows where it is supposed to. If your current system isn’t draining effectively then it may need to be replaced.
- There is serious water damage. Issues such as damaged internal walls, mould within the roof cavity, erosion of soil around the properties footing, or lower level flooding, are good indications that your gutters aren’t removing and disposing of water effectively. If you’ve checked the gutters aren’t clogged, but the problem persists, a replacement may be necessary.
- Signs of mildew: If you see signs of water, constant dampness and mildew anywhere close to your properties foundation, it may indicate your gutters aren’t working as they should.
- There is denting or buckling. A fallen branch or tree that damages a gutter, or a ladder that causes damage, may cause leaks or overflow problems. Damaged sections of guttering will need to be replaced. For seamless gutters, it’s wise to replace the entire run.
- Water remains in the gutter. When water sits in your gutters regularly, this is a sign that the system is not functioning as it should.
We recommend Ace Durakote Steel Gutters
At Gutterlines, we recommend Ace Durakote Steel Gutters as they have excellent corrosion resistance, and the finish is in high-quality polyester paint. Durakote systems resist peeling and flaking and looks contemporary and fresh.
All Durakote® products are available in various shades and our friendly team will work with you to achieve a match to your roofing colour. All Ace Durakote products are supported by a 20-year Rainwater Product Warranty which covers gutters, fascias and downpipes, giving you as the homeowner, total reassurance.
Ready to work with us?
Gutterline have been in the business of gutter installations, repairs and replacements for over 20 years in Sydney. We offer every customer a full written, comprehensive quote. You will receive a breakdown of the products we intend to use and supply an estimate of the time it will take to replace your gutters, downpipes or fascia boards.
All work is performed by highly skilled, experienced, qualified and licensed tradesmen who have been working in the industry for more than 20 years.